Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I bet it’s your favorite meal of the day too. Because it is just so darn good, and usually pretty easy, and generally comforting and tasty. Breakfast food is so good that I bet you eat it for lunch and dinner occasionally too, just like I do. Yesterday, we had these amazing breakfast sandwiches for lunch. My favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe filled with salty cheddar cheese and fresh chives, surrounding layers of smoky ham, creamy scrambled eggs, and more melty cheddar. They were so good!! And lucky for me, there was one left over that I get to have for lunch today, because any day that’s a two-breakfast day is happy day in my book.
This recipe is my latest for my collaboration with Melanie Bauer from Melanie Makes! She’s got her own delicious recipe featuring cheese, chives, and eggs on her blog today; check out her recipe for Green Chile & Chive Cornbread Casserole!
- 2 cups flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons fresh snipped chives
- 6 Tablespoon unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 16 slices thin-sliced deli ham
- 10 eggs
- sliced cheddar cheese
- To make the biscuits, preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, and pulse a few times to combine. Add cheddar and chives, and process again briefly just to combine. Add butter pieces and pulse again until mixture is crumbly. Add buttermilk and pulse just until mixture comes together. On a well-floured surface, pat dough into a long rectangle about ¾" thick. Cut the rectangle into 8 equal squares and place the squares on the baking sheet. Baking for about 18 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While the biscuits are baking and cooling, heat the ham slices in batches in a large nonstick skillet. Set the ham aside on a large plate. In a medium bowl, combine eggs with a splash of milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Scramble the eggs and cook them slowly until firm.
- Split the biscuits in half, place two slices of ham on each bottom biscuit (folded in half if necessary), and top with eggs, sliced cheddar, and biscuit tops. Eat warm. Makes 8 sandwiches.