Right before the holidays started this year, I put together a new chex mix recipe that has since become a favorite! This honey garlic chex mix is the perfect blend of sweet and savory, and every batch I make seems to disappear in a heartbeat. In fact, I have a hard time keeping a batch around long enough to get pictures of it! I finally made some today while no one else was home, so I can finally share the recipe with you.
A few months ago, someone I follow on Twitter mentioned loving a homemade honey garlic party mix, but didn’t offer up any details other than a list of ingredients. No amounts, no directions. And when I tried googling it, I couldn’t find any results. So I did a bunch of research (i.e., eating test batches of said chex mix) and came up with this recipe, and it is such a winner!
If you’ve never made homemade chex mix before, let me assure you that it is extremely easy and very much worth it. I love store-bought chex mix as much as anyone, but it doesn’t hold a candle to the homemade kind. And this particular recipe is special because the honey flavored cereals add a lovely level of sweetness, while the garlic adds extra flavor and boldness. I promise you’ll love it, and everyone you share it with will be begging you to make more!
- 4 cups Honey Nut Chex cereal
- 2 cups Wheat Chex cereal
- 2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios cereal
- 2 cups Kix or Honey Kix cereal
- 1 6-oz can honey roasted almonds
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a large bowl, combine all cereals and almonds. In a medium heatproof bowl, combine melted butter, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt. Stir gently, then pour over cereal mixture. Stir the cereal mixture until the pieces are evenly coated.
- Spread the cereal mixture on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake at 250°F for 1 hour, stirring gently every 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the chex mix to cool completely before eating.