My mom has been raving about Sonoran Hot Dogs for over a year now, ever since she read a blurb about them in Sunset magazine last summer and served them at a family reunion I couldn’t attend. I finally got to enjoy them this past week when my family spent time at the beach in North Carolina, and they definitely lived up to the hype! I’m a big fan of traditional hot dogs with ketchup and mustard, and was skeptical that a hot dog so far removed from that would be tasty, but the new flavor combinations were incredible. They are a new summer favorite!
- soft, doughy hoagie rolls (basically really soft, dense hot dog buns), split down the center
- all-beef hot dogs, no shorter than bun-length, cooked however you like
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- sauteed onions and peppers
- canned pinto beans, drained, rinsed, and warmed
- cotija cheese
- Put a hot dog in each bun, and top with remaining ingredients. Simple and delicious!