These buttery, citrus-scented lemon sugar cookies are crispy on the edges and tender in the middle. Smothered with a tangy lemon-cream cheese frosting, they are an all-time favorite!
Last week, I asked my 4-year-old if she wanted to help me make chocolate chip cookies. She looked at me and said, “Mom, I’d rather have lemon cheesecake.” Such a funny girl! I would have been more than happy to oblige her, except for the fact that it was already mid-afternoon, and this was to be dessert for the same evening.
This recipe is the resulting compromise: Lemon Sugar Cookies with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. The cookies are buttery and crisp on the edges at first, and then soften after being smothered with tart and tangy frosting.
2020 Update: I’m surprised but happy to find that year after year, these frosted lemon sugar cookies are one of my most popular posts. There’s a mix of old and new photos in this post, but one thing is constant: these tangy, citrus-flavored cookies are always delicious, and I’m please as punch that so many people agree!
- for the cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup crisco
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- for the frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 lb. powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter, crisco, and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla, egg, and lemon zest; mix.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add dry ingredients to mixer and combine.
Add milk and lemon juice, and stir until completely incorporated.
- Roll dough into Tablespoon-sized balls and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until cookies are just beginning to turn golden on the edges. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth and well mixed. Add vanilla. Add powdered sugar and salt. Stir. Mix in fresh lemon juice until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- When the cookies are completely cool, frost and serve.
For even more delicious cookie recipes, CLICK HERE and visit my cookie archives.